On the 24 September, 1854, William Gorden Gillam was apprenticed to Henry Smith, of the parish of Littlemore, carpenter and wheelwright, from the date of indenture for 7 years. (Information kindly supplied by Islip Village Archivist).
William Gorden Gillam travelled to Australia in 1863 with his parents and siblings onboard the Golden Empire which arrived in Moreton Bay on 23 July, 1863. Upon arrival they were met by his Uncle and Aunt Bugden of Warwick, Queensland. William and his brothers had to walk most of the way up the Great Dividing Range to Warwick, leading a bullock team carrying their personal possessions. This was no mean feat as even some modern cars find the Range slow going.
William was employed on Rosenthal Station as a wheelwright and in 1865 bought land in Allora, Queensland. He successfully introduced Lucerne to the Darling Downs. In July 1872 he applied for his country publican’s license to operate the Gap Hotel at Cherry Gully which he had built himself. This hotel was a staging post for Cobb and Co. Coaches on the Warwick-Stanthorpe run.
After leaving the hotel industry William returned to Carpentry and in 1887 successfully tendered to build St. David’s Anglican Church in Allora. He also constructed other churches on the Darling Downs. In 1890 he opened a Cordial Factory that was expanded into manufacturing soap. He sold this business in 1895. William was also active in local politics.
He and his wife, Sarah, are buried at the Allora Cemetery on the Darling Downs, Queensland, Australia.
- Born: 29 Apr 1841 - Kibworth, Leicestershire, England
- Died: 31 Mar 1926 - Warwick, Queensland, Australia
- Buried: Unknown date - Unknown location
- Cause of death: Unknown
- Sarah HAWKINS : Married St Mark's Church of England, Warwick, Queensland, Australia 28 Sep 1865
Back to GILLAM family history